The Special Milk program runs from July 1st to June 30th of each year.
The reimbursement rate is determined annually by the USDA and is in effect from July 1 to June 30. The reimbursement rate is currently $0.2700 or 27.00 cents per half pint. This rate is effective July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023.
The types of milk that can be offered are pasteurized fluid types of fat free, low-fat (1%) milk, skim milk, buttermilk, Lactaid, and flavored milk made from fluid types of milk.
Recipient agencies in the Special Milk Program may not participate in any other Federal meal service program. Schools in the National School Lunch or School Breakfast Programs may only participate in the Special Milk Program to provide milk to children in half-day pre-kindergarten and kindergarten programs where children do not have access to the school meal programs.
Join the Program
How to apply:
- Complete a Special Milk Program Agreement. This agreement is valid for five years and does not need to be resubmitted each year.
- Annually submit a Special Milk Program Application for each school, camp or institution requesting to participate, no later than June 30th.
New sponsors may file both the Special Milk Program Agreement and the Special Milk Program Application at the same time.
Claims must be:
- received by the 10th of every month following the period of the covered claim, and
- separate claims must be filed for each month.
For multiple locations, sponsors must submit one consolidated form. Individual claims for multiple sites operating under the auspices of one sponsor will not be processed. Make sure to include your vendor ID on all forms that are submitted.
To be reimbursed:
Pint Conversion Table
|Milk Size||Number of Half Pints|
|One (1) Gallon||16 half pints|
|One-half (1/2) Gallon||8 half pints|
|One (1) Quart||4 half pints|
|One (1) Pint||2 half pints|
|20 Quart bulk container||80 half pints|
|24 Quart bulk container||96 half pints|
- Complete the Special Milk Reconciliation form. To complete this form, convert the number of gallons consumed into half pints using the pint conversion table listed below.
- Fill out the Special Milk Reimbursement Claim form using the number of half pints obtained by completing the Special Milk Reconciliation form and the USDA reimbursement rate per half pint. The current rate is $0.2700 or 27.00 cents per half pint.
- Submit the following to OGS:
- Special Milk Reimbursement Claim form,
- Special Milk Reconciliation form,
- Copies of dated milk receipts that clearly identify the type and size of milk that was purchased.
Claims may be submitted by:
NYS OGS Food Distribution
Menands, NY 12204
When filing a claim, keep in mind:
- Non-specific receipts cannot be used to support claims of milk purchases.
- Purchases must be equal to or greater than the reimbursement claimed.
- The monthly cost of milk must be noted on the Special Milk Reimbursement Claim form and reimbursement cannot be greater than the cost of the milk.
- The original milk receipts should be retained with copies of the reconciliation form and the claim form and must be retained for three years.