Am I in Area K or W?
Schools and child care centers which are located within New York City and all of Long Island are known as Area K and W recipients' of USDA commodities.
The counties served include:
- New York
How to Participate
Participation begins with an agreement provided to OGS by the New York State Education of Department (for schools) or New York State Department of Health (for daycare centers). OGS reaches out to the approved school or daycare center with the necessary tools and information to order USDA commodities.
Order USDA Food
OGS Food Distribution administers the on-line ordering program available to approved schools and daycare centers in areas K & W. USDA commodities are distributed through the OGS Downstate Distribution Center in Brentwood, New York.
Ordering commodities begins by clicking on "Recipient Agency Logon for Areas K & W", and using an OGS provided User Name and Password. Schools and child care centers will have the ability to order and retrieve commodity pick-up slips for monthly orders placed for delivery, or pick-up.
If you are unsure of your password or user name, please email OGS Food Distribution at [email protected]. Remember to include your school code in the email.
- School Year begins July 1 and continues through June 30 of the following year
- Review 2019-20 SY Distribution Periods
- Order Commodities for September by August 21, 2019
- Update OGS by email any changes with staff and/or contact information
- September Pick Up Slips available no sooner than August 30, 2019
- Order Commodities for October by September 16, 2019
- October Pick Up Slips available no sooner than September 27, 2019
- Order Commodities for November by October 18, 2019
- November Pick Up Slips available no sooner than October 25, 2019
- Entitlements posted for 2019-2020 SY
- NYSNA Conference
- Order Commodities for December by November 15, 2019
- December Pick Up Slips available no sooner than November 29, 2019
- Check usage of pounds for diverted commodities with K-12 and/or Processor Link websites. Usage amounts recommended to be 10 percent a month
- Order Commodities for January by December 13, 2019
- January Pick Up Slips available no sooner than December 27, 2019
- Schools need to be at 40 percent usage of processed pounds to avoid being brought to 40 percent of usage
- Regional food shows will include OGS and NYSED updates
- Order Commodities for February by January 17, 2020
- February Pick Up Slips available no sooner than January 31, 2020
- Food Preference Survey completion information for following school year will be emailed to schools. The importance of the survey is determining the top 30 US Food items available to order for SY2019-2020. Completion of this survey is mandatory to participate in Direct Diversion.
- The Food Preference Survey is available until TBD
- Order Commodities for March by February 14, 2020
- March Pick Up Slips available no sooner than February 28, 2020
- Direct Diversion (Approved Processor Listing) becomes available
- Direct Diversion Survey opens on OGS website for Area K
- Direct Diversion Deadline TBD
- Order Commodities for April by March 13, 2020
- April Pick Up Slips available no sooner than March 27, 2020
- Order Commodities for May by April 17, 2020
- May Pick Up Slips available no sooner than April 30, 2020
- Order Commodities for June by May 15, 2020
- June Pick Up Slips Available no sooner than May 29, 2020
- Report Year End Value of Commodities received to your Business office. Instructions for how to run your End of School Year Report can be seen here.