Recycling in OGS-Managed State Office Buildings

Desk-Side Paper Recycling

The following types of used paper may be disposed of in the beige 3Rs baskets:

  • Office waste paper
  • Envelopes with or without windows
  • Post-it notes
  • Magazines and books
  • Cut-up corrugated cardboard boxes
  • Newsprint


The following materials are NOT recyclable and should not be placed in the 3Rs baskets:

  • Food wrappers
  • Metal hanging folders
  • Paper napkins
  • Paper cups
  • Paper towels
  • Plastic-wrapped materials
  • Polystyrene cups
  • Soiled waste paper
  • Tyvek shipping envelopes

For large-volume paper waste, contact your building manager. 

Glass, Plastic, and Metal Recycling

Dispose of used glass, metal, and plastic containers by placing them directly into specially marked receptacles located in lunch rooms, pantries, or other central locations throughout the building. 

  • Please rinse out all bottles and cans before placing them into the recycling receptacles. 
  • Do not place glass, plastic, and metal waste in the desk-side 3Rs paper-waste baskets. 

Electronics Recycling

  • Mobile devices, including phones and tablets: ITS will take back these devices. Mail the device to the ITS Mobile Device Management Unit, 6 Empire State Plaza, Swan Street, Core 4, Room 3408, Albany, NY 12223
  • All other electronic recycling: Contact EWASTE+ at 1-888-536-1340. Acceptable materials include business machines, cables, cameras, copiers, fax machines, power supplies, televisions, video & audio equipment, wiring, and more. 

Surplus Personal Property

The OGS Surplus Personal Property Program accepts and disposes of common office items via public auction sales. Common surplus property items include:

  • Office Furniture
  • Scrap Metal
  • Power tools and machinery
  • Vehicles and motorized equipment

Learn more by visiting the Surplus Personal Property website: 


surplus property website

Confidential Papers

Shredding is the most reliable and economical way to keep your unwanted and obsolete records from being read or used by the wrong people. The Office of General Services does not shred confidential material. If you do not have an office shredder and need to have confidential documents destroyed, contact the New York State Industries for the Disabled (NYSID) Preferred Source for confidential shredding services. 


NYSID Services

Toner Cartridges

The easiest and most efficient way to recycle toner and cartridges is to return them to the company/manufacturer when you purchase new cartridges. A variety of manufacturers offer pre-paid shipping labels when you order a new cartridge. If the new toner cartridge does not come with return packaging, go to the company website to search for how to return used cartridges. 

Not Sure?

Contact your building manager. 


OGS Building Directory