The Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. State Office Building, named in honor of the first black congressman from New York, is located in the heart of Harlem in New York City. The facility is a nineteen-story highrise office building located on 125th Street and stands as the tallest building in Harlem.
This state-owned facility also plays a central role in the community and acts as the center for many public and private events and activities, including meetings, charitable events, health screening clinics, and numerous other outreach events. Each summer, a series of free concerts are held on the outdoor plaza.
Sunday - Saturday
8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Visitor Management Procedure
All visitors who are not New York State employees of the Adam Clayton Powell Jr. State Office Building, must present a valid photo ID to the security guard, and sign in.
- All visitors will sign in and will be issued a visitor’s pass indicating their location.
- All visitors with packages and bags are searched and must go through a metal detector.
- Security confirms all delivery services other than Fed Ex, UPS, and the US Mail.
- Visitors to all public and agency events must present a valid photo ID to the security officer.
- Security will have a list of all daily events.
- SUNY-EOC and BMCC students must have their school IDs. All bags are searched. All students must go through the metal detector.
- Manhattan Psychiatric Center volunteer clients must have their MPC ID cards. Bags are searched and must go through the metal detector.
- New employees assigned to the building must enter through the visitor’s entrance until they receive their building ID.
- All visitors and New York State employees exit freely through the employee turnstiles in the main lobby.
- All visitors and New York State employees who park have easy access to exit through the turnstiles in the cellar level.
- All vehicles have easy access to exit through the garage gate.
Acceptable Proofs of Identification for Admittance to OGS Facilities:
When identification is required, the following is a list of the acceptable proofs of identification for admittance to OGS facilities. All such forms of identification must be valid and include a clear photograph of the individual.
1. U.S. Passport or a U.S. Passport Card
2. Permanent Resident Card or an Alien Receipt Card (Form I-551)
3. Foreign passport
4. Driver’s license or non-driver ID card issued by a state or possession of the U.S.
5. Other government-issued ID card issued by a state or possession of the U.S. (including a NYS employee ID card)
6. U.S. Military ID card, or
7. U.S. Military dependent’s ID card
Individuals 16 years old and under do not have to produce proof of identification but must be accompanied by an adult with acceptable proof of identification.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) provides Metro-North Railroad (to Harlem-125 Street station), bus, and subway service to the Adam Clayton Powell, Jr., State Office Building. Some of the subway lines that service the building include the A, B, C, D, 2, and 3 to 125th Street. Some of the bus lines that service the building includes M125, M100, M101, Bx15, and the SBS60-Express. For more information visit the MTA subway website: https://new.mta.info/maps, and the Metro-North website: https://new.mta.info/agency/metro-north-railroad.
Bicycle racks are located in the parking garage.
Visitors to the Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. State Office Building may park at any available parking spaces on the streets surrounding the facility. There is also paid parking at the Impark Parking Lot, located next to the facility on 126th Street.
Building Offices & Services
|Community Services & Organizations
|See Application for Use of OGS-Managed State Property
|Deliveries & Loading Dock
|State Services Open to the Public