Lubricating Oil is motor crank case oil for use in gasoline engines and light, medium and heavy-duty diesel engines.
EcoLogo® - is a North American Type I environmental leadership standard setting and third-party certification program as defined by ISO 14024. It has a standard (CCD-054) for automotive engine oil - recycled and certifies products meeting those standards. For additional information on this program as well as standards for other products, visit the EcoLogo website at http://www.ecologo.org/en/.
Green Seal™ - is a non-profit organization that follows the Guiding Principles and Procedures for Type I Environmental Labeling adopted by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO 14024). Green Seal has developed environmental standards and certifies products for more than 40 major product categories. It has a standard for re-refined motor oil (GS-3). Learn more about Green Seal's environmental standards at http://www.greenseal.org/
Where lubricating oil with post-consumer material content is available at a competitive cost and meets the entity’s form, function, and utility requirements, all affected state entities shall, to the maximum extent practicable, purchase lubricating oil that meets or exceeds a minimum percentage of post-consumer material content by weight of 55 percent.
Upon request, the supplier shall obtain a statement from the manufacturer certifying the actual percentages of recycled material in the product furnished for the product.
All affected state entities are encouraged to purchase re-refined lubricating oil that comply with the toxic chemical contaminant standards contained in EcoLogo CCD-054 or Green Seal-3.
Packaging shall comply with Environmental Conservation Law section 37-0205. Packaging shall not contain inks, dyes, pigments, adhesives, stabilizers, or any other additives to which any lead, cadmium, mercury, or hexavalent chromium is intentionally added or contain incidental concentrations of lead, cadmium, mercury or hexavalent chromium which together are greater than 100 parts per million by weight (0.01%).
New York State encourages affected entities to adopt the following in order of preference when purchasing items that come in packaging:
- Items that do not need packaging, or the packaging is part of the product.
- Items that come in reusable packaging.
- Items that come in bulk packaging.
- Items that come in innovative packaging that reduces the amount of packaging.
- Items that come in packaging that remains the property of the supplier and does not become the property of the end user under any circumstance or condition. The vendor shall certify that the packaging material will be reused, recycled, or composted, and managed in compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws.
- Items that come in packaging that maximizes recycled or biodegradable (compostable) content and/or meets or exceeds the minimum post-consumer content level for packaging in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines. Biodegradable products should only be used in areas where a composting facility exists that accept the material.
- Items that come in Packaging that is recyclable or biodegradable (compostable). Biodegradable products should only be used in areas where a composting facility exists and will accept the material.