Submit a Business Case for State Vehicles and AMS Acquisitions
For all State vehicles and rolling-stock assets, this business case must be used in conjunction with the policies set forth in DOB BPRM D-750 State Vehicle Acquisitions and it is required for DOB and Executive Chamber approval. Upon internal agency approval, submit your Business Case for State Vehicles and AMS Acquisitions to OGS Fleet Management, then to your DOB analyst, and finally to your Deputy Secretary. Please ensure you address and answer all questions in the Business Case precisely and thoroughly.
Alternative Fueled Vehicles
OGS supports the use of Alternative Fueled Vehicles to restore, preserve and protect New York’s valuable environmental resources; help to reduce air pollutants to ensure a clean environment in New York for current and future generations, and contribute to the nationwide effort to reduce dependence on foreign sources of petroleum.
For additional information, follow the helpful links below:
Request a State Vehicle ID Number
- Contact OGS Fleet Management to request a state vehicle ID number for the following types of PASSENGER vehicles:
- Subcompact, compact, mid-size, full-size wagons and sedans 8,500 lbs or under
- 4x2, 4x4, and AWD utility vehicles, all capacity even if over 8,500 lbs
- 4x2, 4x4 pickup trucks 8,500 lbs or under
- Passenger vans, all capacity, even if over 8,500 lbs
- All alternative fueled vehicles 8,500 lbs or under
- Contact the Department of Transportation at [email protected] to request a state vehicle ID number for the following types of vehicles:
- Pickup trucks over 8,500 lbs
- Dump trucks, stake trucks, buses, utility (cargo vans), box vans, box trucks, step vans, motorcycles, lawnmowers, tractor trailers, tractors, trailers, all-terrain vehicles
- Anything considered equipment
New York State Fuel Cards
New York State Fuel Cards are for use at all state-owned fueling stations. The following form is for use by the agency’s fleet coordinator. If you are not your agency’s fleet coordinator, contact OGS Fleet Management.
- To request, replace or deactivate a fuel card; or report a lost or stolen fuel card, complete and submit the Request, Replace or Deactivate New York State Fuel Credit Card Request form.
- Find a New York State Fueling Facility
New York State Fleet Management System (FleetWave) Access
To request or remove user access to the New York State Fleet Management System, State agency fleet coordinators must complete and submit the NYS Fleet-User Request Form.
Fleet Inventory Changes
To request fleet inventory changes to the New York State fleet management system – including adding or removing vehicles to the state inventory, or changing information on an existing vehicle – state agency fleet coordinators must complete and submit the appropriate form below. If you are not an agency fleet coordinator, contact OGS Fleet Management.
Report an Accident
When involved in a state vehicle accident, the operator of the state vehicle must complete and sign the Department of Motor Vehicles’ Report of Motor Vehicle Accident Form (MV-104) in its entirety. Submit a copy of the MV-104 to your agency’s fleet or accident coordinator for transmittal to OGS Fleet Management.
For any accident occurring in New York State causing death, personal injury, or damage over $1,000, it is the driver's responsibility to submit a Department of Motor Vehicles’ Report of Motor Vehicle Accident Form (MV-104) within 10 days. OGS Fleet Management does not file reports with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Inquiries and/or correspondence from claimants and/or their insurance companies, as well as any medical bills for passengers of state vehicles, should always be directed to OGS Fleet Management for proper handling. If you receive any direct correspondence from claimants and/or their insurance companies, forward to OGS Fleet Management. In order to identify our file, please include the state driver's name and the date of accident on all correspondence.
New York State Accident Review Board
All New York State agencies are required to fill out and submit an NYS Accident Review Board, Vehicle and Equipment Accident Report form if the accident resulted in any of the following:
- An incident involving a fatality;
- An incident which has had or will have a significant negative impact on New York State’s insurance premiums and/or insurance coverages;
- An instance in which the New York State operator has accumulated two (2) or more moving accidents (i.e., a vehicle in motion) within a 24-month period;
- Incident(s) in which a New York State vehicle(s) is deemed to be a “total loss” where frequency and/or cost appear to be factors;
- An incident resulting in $5,000 or more in property damage;
- An incident resulting in $10,000 or more in bodily injury damages;
- Incident raising questions or concerns about fleet policy or procedure from a state risk management perspective; and
- An incident that is a legal violation that is reported through the Department of Motor Vehicles License Event Notification Service (LENS) program.
Self-Retained Auto Program
View the Self-Retained Auto Program policy by downloading the following document:
Fleet Management Forms
Fleet Inventory Form for Agencies Not Using the Self-Serve Module
Updated December 3, 2021
Business Case for State Vehicles and AMS Acquisitions
Form and Instructions - Updated December 2019
New York State Fueling Facilities
Updated July 27, 2021
Contact Fleet Management
Contact us by phone:
Contact us by email:
Albany, NY 12226