Getting the services you need during an emergency is critical to your operations. The OGS Design and Construction group provides emergency contracting services to client agencies for numerous emergency conditions. Personnel are on call 24/7/365 to respond to any construction emergency.
What is a construction emergency?
Article 2 of the Public Buildings Law, Paragraph 9 defines Construction Emergencies. A "construction emergency" is damage to or a malfunction in buildings or property of the State of New York caused by an unanticipated, sudden and unexpected occurrence which involves a pressing necessity for immediate repair, reconstruction or maintenance in order to permit the safe continuation of a necessary public use or function, or to protect the property of the State of New York, or the life, health and safety of any person.
Agencies Must Be Authorized
Before a construction emergency happens, be sure your state agency is authorized by OGS to participate in the emergency contracting program. To become authorized, the Director or Commissioner of an agency must send a letter of introduction and intent to the OGS commissioner in order to be included in the OGS emergency contracting program.
Check to see if your agency is already on the authorized list:
How to Declare an Emergency
- An authorized agency representative (or his/her designee) must call Design & Construction to request emergency contracting assistance. See the table below of Who to Contact.
- An authorized agency representative (or his/her designee) must complete the Declaration of Emergency (BDC 318) Form and email it to OGS at ogs.sm.D&[email protected].
- If the emergency occurs after hours (4:00 p.m. to 7:30 a.m.) the authorized agency representative may submit the Declaration of Emergency Form the next business day.
- If the Declaration of Emergency Form is emailed by an authorized agency representative's designee, the authorized agency representative must be copied on the email to OGS.
What Happens Next?
- OGS forwards all Emergency Declarations to the Division of the Budget with the agency's authorized representative copied on the transmission.
- OGS evaluates the emergency and begins the emergency contract bidding process.
- OGS representatives will contact the Facility Representative (indicated on the BDC 318) to schedule and coordinate the emergency services to be provided.
Declaration of Emergency Form
Order of Who to Contact
Order of Who to Contact for Emergency Construction Services
1. Contact the OGS Emergency Coordinator
|Nicholas Bayly||Emergency Coordinator||518-527-5113||[email protected]|
2. If the Emergency Coordinator is unavailable, contact the Regional Supervisor where the emergency is located.
|John Hustedt||Region 1 - Long Island||631-275-0204||[email protected]|
|Prisca Brunson||Region 2 - NYC||917-468-2855||[email protected]|
|John Pupons||Region 3 - Mid-Hudson||518-429-3667||[email protected]|
|Michael Mitchell, P.E.||Region 4 - Capital Region||518-573-8098||[email protected]|
|James Carter||Region 5 - North Country||518-461-0265||[email protected]|
|Adam Potter||Region 6 - Central NY||315-345-0712||[email protected]|
|Timothy Ebersole, P.E.||Region 7 - Western NY||716-238-6954||[email protected]|
3. If the Regional Supervisor is unavailable, contact the Regional Assistant Director where the emergency is located.
|John Kochem||Regions 1, 2, 3, 4||518-928-1941||[email protected]|
|Jacob Samulski, P.E.2||Regions 5, 6, 7||716-998-0399||[email protected]|
4. If all contact attempts are exhausted, contact:
John Kochem, Director of Construction
Get qualified for emergency contracting opportunities!
OGS Design & Construction awards approximately 325 emergency contracts annually in accordance with Public Buildings Law Section 9. Bids for emergency contracts may be taken over the phone and require an immediate response and performance of the work. Emergency contracts are of short duration and are usually awarded on a cost-plus basis, typically for $300,000 or less. In extraordinary circumstances, contracts shall not exceed $1,500,000. Learn more & get qualified.