The mission of the Office of General Services (OGS) is to:
- manage and lease real property;
- design and build facilities;
- contract for goods, services, and technology; and
- deliver a broad scope of critical services for agencies.
The agency seeks to provide citizens, government, and nonprofit agencies with innovative solutions, integrated services, and best value in support of cost-effective operations and responsible public stewardship.
What We Do
The Office of General Services (OGS) was established in 1960 to provide essential support services for the operations of state government. Since then, OGS has grown significantly in scope and complexity. Today, we are a diversified organization providing a broad spectrum of services to state agencies, local governments, and the public.
Since its inception, OGS has developed expertise in centralizing critical support and service functions leading to a cost-effective government. OGS facilitates the work of New York State agencies, the Legislature, and Judiciary; support local governments, eligible nonprofits, school districts, and public authorities. The agency provides services through the development and management of efficient, cost-effective, and environmentally sustainable programs and activities. Delivery of critical services is performed in partnering with New York State businesses; significant economic opportunities are presented through their participation in state contracts administered by OGS. Some of these services include:
- Architectural, engineering, and construction management services for buildings statewide;
- Building management, energy-saving operations, and maintenance services to 49 major office complexes and buildings statewide;
- Managing leases of privately held real estate used for state purposes;
- Facilitating and administering approximately 1,500 centralized procurement contracts for goods, services, and technology needed by state agencies, municipal governments, and educational institutions;
- Administering a variety of support and distribution services, including the state's alternative fueled vehicles program, interagency mail and freight services, printing and copying services, disposal of surplus state equipment, and distribution of USDA surplus food supplies;
- Shared administrative services (e.g., human resources and financial management) for 14 state agencies; and
- Visitors' assistance, tours, and maintenance of architectural, historical, and art treasures at the Empire State Plaza, the Executive Mansion, and the State Capitol.
Contact OGS: (518) 474-3899 | [email protected] | Program Directory | Careers