The Plaza Visitor Center and Gift Shop
The Office of General Services manages the Plaza Visitor Center, located in the North Concourse of the Empire State Plaza. The visitor center provides information, assistance and tours for visitors to the Capitol and Plaza.
Contact: (518) 474.2418
Hours: Monday – Friday
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
For additional information on accommodations, dining, and entertainment within the Greater Capital District:
Now Accepting Applications for Artist Consignment in the Plaza Gift Shop
The Office of General Services is seeking New York State artists to provide consignment merchandise in the following media: jewelry, ceramics, glass, textiles, fine art and mixed media. If you are an artist who lives and works in New York State and would like to be considered for this opportunity, please fill out and send in an application:
Hours of and Access to Plaza, Capitol, and Surrounding State Property and Facilities
- The Capitol is open Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., (closed Saturday and Sunday), except during legislative session when the building remains open for one hour after conclusion of session.
- The grounds of the Empire State Plaza, the Capitol, and all surrounding areas, including the West Capitol Park, East Capitol Park, and Lafayette Park, are open to the public daily from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- The outdoor Plaza level of the Empire State Plaza is open from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. but is closed during the winter months from December 1 – March 31.
- The underground Concourse level of the Empire State Plaza is open daily 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., through the State Street Entrance (next to the Justice Building near the Vietnam Memorial) and through the Madison Avenue entrance. On weekends, these entrances and the Cultural Education Center provide the only access to the Concourse.
- The Corning Tower's Plaza and Concourse levels are open Monday – Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Closed Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays.
- The Empire State Plaza and Concourse are handicapped accessible except for the State Street Capitol entrance and the Concourse tunnel to the Swan Street Building.
- Empire State Plaza Access for the Disabled.
Plaza Ambassador Program
The Plaza Visitor Center staff is assisted by a dedicated group of volunteers who help provide information services and tours at the Plaza. The Office of General Services is continually seeking qualified candidates for the Plaza Ambassador Program.